Thursday, January 12, 2012

Kill the Lizard!

I'm actually very friendly to animals, but this is key stuff to think about here. When you flinch, when you are worried about sounding stupid or not fitting in, that is your lizard brain talking. Learn to quiet the lizard brain, and remind yourself this is not the age of the sabre tooth tiger.


A great quote from one of Seth Godin's podcasts: "I can't tell you what to do, but what I can tell you is you need to find a way to do it."


That's right. There's no magic pill. There's not one thing you can follow. The whole point of innovation is to do something different and ask for something bolder. And that's what's scary. Scary yet effective.


Source: http://egoscueportland.wordpress.com/2010/02/18/is-there-a-lizard-in-my-brain/
So today, now that I've crunched numbers and read myself to death on financing and how to set your pricing, I'm going to look at my business plan one more time and will ask myself, "Who made this business? Was it me or was it the lizard? Where can I go even crazier?"


To draw a couple points together, the fact that every person has to find their own way to kill the lizard themselves speaks to their unique strengths and can speak to their company's unique culture. There is strength there. This is what can make you indispensable to the market. That's why you have to find this scary, bold, exciting place in yourself.


Interestingly enough, in another podcast of Seth's I listened to, he said that his prediction of businesses that will be the quickest to succeed and stay successful in the future are those that truly address and see the individual in each of their customers and clients. 


Podcast #1: http://www.ducttapemarketing.com/blog/2010/01/26/talking-linchpin-with-seth-godin/
Podcast #2: http://media.startupsuccesspodcast.com/StartupSuccess057.mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment